Thursday, October 4, 2012

What is this Pinterest you speak of?


Most of the ideas for the crafts that our club have done thus far are from a website called Pinterest. What is this Pinterest I speak of?

Pinterest is an online bulletin board essentially, hence the term "pinning" that refers to saving cool ideas that you see onto your personalized, virtual bulletin board. I was introduced to Pinterest by none other than a group of Elementary school teachers that I went through new hire training with last year. Pinterest is not just arts and crafts though. It is everything! Yes, they even have a category for that.

To sign up, the easiest thing to do is link it to your Facebook account. When you sign up with your Facebook log in, it's much easier to add friends to follow and them follow you in return. Why would you want to follow someone? Well, let's say Valerie finds a cool project she wants to bring it to my attention for our Arts & Crafts Club then she could pin it and let me know about it. Then the next time I go into my Pinterest I will see Valerie's pins. Why couldn't I just search it myself? The thing with Pinterest is that there is SO MUCH stuff out there...you have to pin the idea if you ever want to find it again. Lol.

So what types of things more specifically will you see on Pinterest? I mentioned you will see just about anything, but to give you a better idea these are some of the categories that you can search...

Animals, Architecture, Art, Cars & Motorcycles, Celebrities, DIY (Do it Yourself & Crafts, Design, Education, Film, Music & Books, Food & Drink, Gardening, Geek, Hair & Beauty, Health & Fitness, History, Holidays & Events, Home Decor, Humor, Illustrations & Posters, Kids, Men's Fashion, Outdoors, Photography, Products, Quotes, Science & Nature, Sports, Tattoos, Technology, Travel, Weddings, Women's Fashion, & lastly Videos....

So as you can see...almost anything can be found here. My favorites categories are Recipes, DIY & Crafts, and...who am I kidding...I don't need to list them all again. Lol.

Once you sign up for Pinterest, get pinning! Huh? When you look through all the images on the main page if you click on one you will see a button called "Re-Pin". That allows you to save it to your virtual bulletin board. On your bulletin board you can also create categories of your own to help organize your pins, because as you begin to get addicted to the amazingness that is Pinterest...you will have wished you started categorizing to start with.

These are the basics, but I could go on and on about all of the possibilities. If you are interested or need further instruction/help with Pinterest, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Here's a link to my Pinterest page if you like to see more or possible follow me.
Nixsy52's Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment